Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Full Moon Party

I can feel the light before I can see it. I open my eyes to see that I am swimming in a pool of dried paint and sand. I smile as images of the last 24 hours drift through my head. Surreal. I slowly sit up and reach for my camera, I need hard evidence last night was real. Paint party, Thai buckets, fire and lady boys. Yep, we had survived the legendary Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan and it was the best night of my life. Sorry, I digress my real story begins a mere 24 hours earlier ...on July 3.

We collect our luggage from the baggage carousal and head to the ticketing counter. Praying there are still ferry tickets available...10,000 people attending and we don't have tickets to the island...talk about anxiety. But we are in luck, heaps available. We purchase our tickets and are immediately corralled into buses where we are shuttled off to the harbor. We hop on the bus and meet two guys from Florida, ew one has a faux hawk and they both have eyebrow slits...tools. We get to talking and their silly appearances are from their last trip, they were in Vietnam and were playing a game called Claim. If you didn't complete the dare you had to shave a design into your body. Hence the eyebrow slits another souvenir, tiger stripes down the leg. We exchange our travel stories as the excitement courses through our veins (looks like we'll have to extend the trip, Laos and Vietnam?). We exit the bus and head towards our speedboat.

We get to the island and head for the hotel. We've got a long night ahead of us... On our way to the hotel we run into a friend of my sisters (Brendan) who demands we attend a paint party at his hotel tonight then all head down to the beach. Sounds appropriate...we're in! We throw our things in the room and head for the pool. We grab a Thai bucket and a pizza and post up by the pool. A DJ is set up by the pool and we've got some lively Aussies to entertain ourselves before the night begins.

We rendezvous with Brendan and head for the party...time to get our Picasso on. A couple hours later Brendan drags us out of the bar...it's midnight already? Jeez. Off we go...months of planning and our big night has finally arrived!

We get onto the main road and jump into the throng of people (picture a MASS exodus). We link up and swim through crowd each screaming to one another, " don't leave me I don't have a phone!?" Then we hit sand, we've made it! And it is quite a sight pure mayhem, but it is beautiful. The beach is lined with bars, stages, painting booths, flaming objects and 10,000 people.

We jump from stage to stage all night (literally). Just when you think you need a break you hear a familiar song and run to the next stage completely energized. Why stop? This is one of the top 10 parties in the world...you need to savor every minute (But if you need a break, you nap in the sand). It couldn't have been more ideal.

As the night continued the mischief progressed. More and more fire toys began to appear, first signs, then hula hoops and finally the infamous jump rope. Now all travel blogs warn you not to jump in the rope "even if you are an expert jumper the drunk that joins you is not." Not into fire? Try the giant waterside it is probably almost as unsafe but completely worth it.

And don't bother asking people for the time, from midnight-when the sun comes up everyone told me it was 1:30...

Just when we were about to call it a night we spot more friends. And just like that all exhaustion banished. We head down to our favorite stage just as a Red Hot Chili Peppers mash-up begins and just like that the party starts again. We make our way to the stage to escape from the crowds (only so many people can fit up there). I start my two step and notice the girl next to me is wearing tights...well that's odd. My peripheral peek turns into a stare as I realize a congregation of lady boys (transvestites...sort of) has assembled next to me. Soooo...sick? This is my first encounter with a lady boy and hopefully my last...thank goodness I'm a girl...would have been a different story if Baby Steve was here! Again I digress...back to the party.

It was some odd hour of the morning but the party was still going. No one knew what time it was and no one really cared (the more time I spend in South East Asia the more I don't worry about things like time what's important is the present and living in the moment. Time stands still so you can enjoy the moment and that's exactly what I plan to do). The music suddenly changes pace and a small Asian man begins to MC what appears to be another morning rally cry is actually the end of the party. Times...how can it be over! We just got here...and then it hit us. The sun has come out...not just risen...it is out. What now? We fall into line and head towards the town. Just as we are crossing the pool we see the hotel staff setting up breakfast (it's 7:30)...after 8 hours of dancing nothing has ever looked this good. We scarf down our food and groggily head off to bed.

Three hours later we wake up to a pounding on the door...it's Brendan...he has managed to lose his shirt, shoes, hat and friends...but what a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment