Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Liquid Language

Generally the beginning of August is dedicated to a week in Hawaii with my family tanning, surfing, swimming, eating and of course watching Shark Week. Although I was deprived of my usual fishy entertainment, my family was very good about keeping me up to date with the new season. They were also kind enough to inform me about the creatures lurking outside my cottage!

When I wake up in the morning and in the late afternoon I like to go for a swim. The tide is pretty high, the current isn't too strong and most of the other tourists have vacated the waters. However, from my years of shark week I am well aware of how dangerous the waters are (and my family is all too kind to daily remind me), during a time when I want to be relaxing enjoying a casual ocean swim images from shark week drift through my head and play games with my imagination. From my general shark encyclopedia I know that my area is relatively safe, the most harmless creature in these waters is the sea urchin (which attacked JJ's hand yesterday...). But tomorrow we are heading into the caves for a little snorkeling, hopefully we see something a bit, more, ferocious?

On a side notes, did you know that Mombasa is home to the world's second largest barrier reef and home to a large community of whale sharks. Good thing I got my scuba certification this summer! Too bad the Indian Ocean is also swimming with Tiger and Bull Sharks. If I had more time in Mombasa, it was the appropriate season and I had a diving partner I would seriously consider a dive trip out here. The African coast is a great place to vacation and the water is lovely, looks like I might have to venture out here again.

1 comment:

  1. Nice "blog paper"......

    Shelby got a sea urchin in her foot yesterday. How do u remove it Jj?

    Have a nice 3 days. Wear mosquito in those caves! That's where they live.

    ReplyDelete