Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rehabbin

Whenever anyone asks you how you are enjoying your stay (in their hometown/home) the common and courteous response is something generic with a hint of description and most importantly it must sound genuine.  This past week I have been repetitively asked by Kenyans and my group how I am enjoying my stay and if I will return. To the first question I kindly reply that I am enjoying my Kenyan holiday. What is not to enjoy? My trip is like rehab (without the withdraws), it's a much needed break from the urban decay. Whenever I travel I enjoy my time away from the "everyday necessities" that consume my daily routines:  cell, Facebook, Starbucks.
  I am currently living in a bonda overlooking the African savanna. My morning routine consists of  waking up every morning to a  pipping hot cup of coffee, espresso, or tea (you cannot sacrifice everything).  I pour myself a cup of coffee and I sit down for a morning read (current rate= 1 book a week). After coffee we get our butts kicked by our trainer "Jillian Michaels." And as our workout ends we are called to breakfast which we enjoy outside on the patio. After breakfast we generally have a full day, whether it be teaching, village meetings or trips into the city we are usually running around until  6 or later. As we get home we are welcomed by the intoxicating smell of homemade popcorn wafting out from the house (Did I mention that we have a cook/housekeeper). As we sit and decompress after a long day we sit around the popcorn bowl reading our books or doing a crossword puzzle. About an hour later we gather around the table of a healthy home cooked meal. After dinner we each get ready for bed and read a little more. Our bedtime gets earlier and earlier, and as boring as this sounds it is so refreshing.  My time in Africa consists of resting, good eating, working out and reading...the perfect detox. So to answer the first question yes. I am loving my time here. I am traveling in Africa with one of my good friends, I've also made new friends and I am meeting wonderful people. 

Now for the second question. When will I return. This is an awkward question to respond to point blank. As much as I am enjoying my time in Kasigua I do not know when or if I shall return. Africa is an amazing continent and has so much to offer and I would very much like to explore more countries but it is very difficult to gauge when I shall make it back out here especially when I still have two more weeks out here. For now I can only smile and only answer the first question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment