Friday, April 13, 2012

Start Swooning...

Disclaimer: Words cannot properly describe the beauty that is Turks and Caicos. The colors, the sights, the sounds, the (sea)food, and the rum.

Who: The Ito's (+ Ada)
What: Traversing the globe
When: Annual Easter Vaca (Mexico kinda unavailable)
Where: The Gansevoort Hotel, Turks and Caicos
Why: It's tradition

It seems as if, every time I travel, it is becoming more difficult to coax myself to return to the United States (if only being on a perpetual vacation was a reality...I have not given up hope yet...I am still young). Every time I have visited the Caribbean I am hypnotized by its beauty and frankly wouldn't mind finding my own Captain Jack Sparrow and relocating to this Utopian archipelago. One day...

Ahh where to begin, when packing for a tropical island getaway it is completely unnecessary to bring a large suitcase (I had a carry on)...because clothing is optional. Necessities: swimsuits (yes, you need multiple), sandals (but barefoot works just as well), workout clothes (you're in a swimsuit...I feel as if this is self explanatory), cover up, floppy hat, over-sized sunglasses, book(s), dinner gear, wedges, sunscreen, and minimal make-up (don't look like a Jersey Shore cast member).

We arrived to the hotel late Tuesday night, as we groggily approached the lobby Steve and I were stopped in our tracks...dimly lit by the pale moonlight the outline of the the beach came into view.  Even at this late hour you could see the rich, iridescent turquoise illuminating the coast. We immediately took off towards the beach abandoning our possessions in the lobby...safe with Ada right? We collapsed on the beach beds silently taking in the scenery and admiring what a wonderful vaca planner Susan is, this place was unreal.

The mornings were reserved for for beach yoga, followed by brunch. The nights were spent hopping to fabulous restaurants around the area, each offering a splendid assortment of seafood and festive cocktails. Not quite used to 40+ hour work weeks, and missing my lax socal lifestyle and the comfort of my family this getaway could not have come at a better time.

 This week instead of my writing be the focus, I'll let the photos illustrate our trip, a picture is worth 1,000 words, right?

Wednesday: There is nothing like island hopping on Jet skis in 70 degree, crystal clear waters.

Thursday: Relaxing on the beach beds, sailing along the coast sipping drunken lobsters and reading Hunger Games.
Friday: We spent the morning on an excursion. Snorkling along the reef, conk diving, hunting iguanas and enjoying the legendary Caribbean Rum punch. After a great day of playing pirates we retreated to the hotel for a "well deserved" spa day.
Saturday: Another early morning on the sea, Sue and I spent the day scuba diving off the coast (my first dive since I was certified last April). Spectacles: reef sharks, sea turtles, a dolphin, and lion fish.
Sunday: Easter Sunday, sadly my dad, brother and grandmother had to leave early in the morning. We spent the day relaxing and celebrating God's greatest gift and enjoying each other's company.


Monday: return to dreary DC...California bound in 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment