Friday, March 30, 2012

Hey Y'all, I'm Going Out With My Boots On

Thursday, March 22, I made the brilliant decision to attend the Hunger Games midnight premiere. I might not have finished the book, however, the allure of patiently waiting in a sardine can with anxious teenagers for a midnight showing even though I will be arriving at work hours later is always a gambit for me. As obnoxious and cliche as it sounds, no matter how crowded the venue (I hate people) or exhausted I may be the next day, it is always worth it in the end. And this was no different, although I started the book months ago, I have yet to finish it...looks like I might have more motivation now. I adored the movie, such an adrenaline rush. And my sleep deprivation was no match for a swig of 5 hour power, yes I am essentially drinking poison, but, "you only live once" seems to be my mantra/accessory for this season. Some girls like to sport a new bag everyday, I prefer the zombie look. Classic.

Friday after work I headed home to grab my suitcase, I was off to Nashville, Tennessee, the home of Country Music. New York last weekend, Tennessee this weekend, I wonder why I am so sleep deprived. This weekend I was making the trip to meet up with some family. I was met at the airport by Justin, and we headed for their home. I had yet to visit them in Kentucky and this appeared to be my last chance to make a trip down south before their move! As we crept up to the house we tip-toed into the dark house, and just as I set my bags down I am tackled by a large black mass, Brucey, a 6 month old pit bull. I immediately drop to the floor to play with my new friend, one of the difficult parts about living over here is being away from my puppies. I have missed my K9 companions...

Saturday after a hearty breakfast we pack up the "RV" and head back into Nashville. The first stop, the Gaylord Opry Hotel (The South's version of Disneyland I have been informed). We settled into the hotel and made our way to the "Dreamworks Experience," (my cousin has a 2 year old) this interactive "experience" was a "friendly" competition for kids and parents to do together. Being an obnoxiously competitive family, we began strategizingn (immediately), "well Gabe is 2 so he wont be able to compete," as we began delegating games to each individual we realized how truly pathetic we were acting. Don't get me wrong, winning was still our goal, but I was not going to push a toddle down in order to attain that goal. Around 9, the babysitter arrived, we snuck out of the experience just as the dance party began, darn. We had our own dance party to attend. We "quickly" got ready and headed to Downtown Nashville for a night of live music and dancing. The sights and sounds of the historic Downtown were intoxicating, cowboys and cowgirls paraded around the strip, jumping from bar to bar, soulful country ballads wafted out the open doors. Our first bar, the Dueling Pianos (Justin's suggestion), upon entering I was extremely skeptical, all I saw was a smokey patio, I tried to mask my disappointment, but I essentially speak in facial expressions...Justin quickly corralled us to the back of the bar. As we meshed into the crowd we saw what was drawing in the audience, on stage were two pianists playing popular music and hurling one liners back and forth (now that's my style). Hilarious, to say the least. Just as we began to settle down we were scuttled out to our next bar, again I questioned Justin's taste, gross, dive bar. But wait, that band, is, awesome. Jack and I rushed to the dance floor to kick up our boots to some good 'ole country music. If you love live (COUNTRY) music, Nashville is the place to go. We spent the remainder of the night jumping from bar to bar, and every band we saw was brilliant. I could live there, (who am I kidding...visit) phenomenal music, great food, and adorable cowboys (or cute Vandi students... your preference) I'm not sure you could want anything else in a city! It.Was.Spectacular. Nashville is a definite must see, I can safely add it to my list of favorite places.

Sunday, obviously a day of rest, and we honorable respected it. Tragically we did not make it to church, however we did enjoy some much needed R&R. As we reflected on the night we realized we had lost David. Geez. Well technically we were all aware of it but when it turned noon and we still had not heard from him so we decided to give him a jingle. David had decided to stick Downtown with our friends for a little longer and got suckered into staying at someone's mom's house...excellent. Poor child's phone died and had been waiting around all morning for a ride back to the hotel. After he had made it back safe and sound we decided to make our way out to a little brunch. Generally I am pretty morally opposed to all you can eat brunches, generally due to my horrendous sweet tooth...oops. But it was grrrreat. We sat around the table reflecting upon the night, mostly laughing at Justin's facial expressions. Girls, if you want to go out and do not want to get harassed by creepers, I suggest going with a 6'3'' army man. If I had only taken a photo...words can't describe the death stare that emitted from his face, greatness. Centennial Park was our next destination,             day naps (food comas) in the sun, one of my favorite past times and a great way to end a fabulous trip!

1 comment:

  1. Nashville sounds like Texas ..Cowboys; great music, and good ole southern hospitality. I will put it on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete