Monday, February 13, 2012

Louder Than Silence

Coming off a phenomenal weekend and crash landing on a sluggish Monday morning is about the equivalent of...head butting a titanium wall. That was an exaggeration but at least now you know how my Monday is starting off...

Whew, what a weekend. 

I'm still getting used to working 40+ hours so Friday night was a lost cause. I met up with some friends on the Hill to grab a drink and a burger (soo American). Then we headed back to my friend’s apartment to watch the Laker game. Nothing really to say about that performance...other than Jeremy Lin...where did you come from? Thank you for showing the world that Asians are capable of athletic (and scholastic…he graduated from Harvard) achievements outside of gymnastics and figure skating. Geesh. 

Saturday day I, was pretty much useless. I had a big night ahead of me so my most outstanding achievement consisted of watching the snow fall. Being a Southern California baby, I am still pretty captivated by this phenomenon. I observantly watched the icy crystals dance towards the earth for about an hour, sipping my tea and thanking God for placing me in this spectacular city. I soon drifted into my afternoon nap and woke up in the evening. As darkness approached I began to get ready for the night. On tonight’s agenda I had a late dinner and a night of dancing, a perfect girl’s night. We had dinner at Oya, a beautiful Asian fusion restaurant.

Mala and I have a habit of ogling over lavish decorations and Oya did not let us down. Words can’t capture the rich embellishments…geostone walls, rose walls, waterfalls, fire walls and of decadent chandeliers. And to our surprise, delicious sushi as well. The East Coast has a lot to offer, but fine sushi is not one of them, sorry. This is the first restaurant that I would recommend, to my mother (let’s just put it this way, she’s picky but then again so am I, like mother like daughter I suppose). After dinner we headed back to our house grabbed an overnight bag and put on our boogie shoes (rain boots). Tonight’s entertainment: Steve Aoki.

The set began at 2, so we had plenty of time. We casually made our way through the flurries to Eastern Market. My snowy ballerinas had decorated the city; it was a picturesque winter wonderland. We glided through the streets admiring our new surroundings when we realized it was FREEZING. Snow is pretty, when you’re inside next to a fireplace under a blanket. We took off at a sprint towards Mary’s this drastic weather change was a bit much for us.

After settling in we made our way to the venue…it was, interesting to say the least. Let’s just say the inhabitants mirrored those of “dirty valley people,” ew I know. As we stood in line to enter our jaws dropped as a parade of “low-self esteemed” girls gathered around us. It looked like a combination of the Jersey Shore cast and Halloween in Isla Vista, it is freezing, and you need to wear pants or at least a jacket! It is mind numbing how moronic people can be. Mais c'est la vie.

Aside from our less than stellar cast, the night was magic. Greeeeeat music, Steve was quite the performer. From crowd surfing on an inflatable raft, to throwing whole birthday cakes into the crowd it was a show.  But the greatest part of the night, my decision to wear rain boots. Not only was I able to gracefully two-step the club, but my feet were not trampled and I didn’t ruin my shoes in the cake fight. Winner much, I know.

The next day, we woke up around 11, reminisced on our night and slowly made our way to brunch. Yes sir, brunch. We are soo DC local now.

And then as if shaken from a dream, it’s Monday. Back to la grind.   

No comments:

Post a Comment