Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ritzy

Last week was quite the week...Valentine's Day, couch surfing (ish), slumber parties, and playing tour guide. I know, quite the impressive list lets begin on Tuesday, the day of looove.

Tuesday:
Now some people hate Valentine's Day, and being a self declared cynic I should probably fall into this category. BUT, how could I possibly despise a holiday that basically promotes unnecessary present giving, flower deliveries and chocolate binging. It's kind of wonderful, and lets just say I was pretty spoiled this year. The classic romantic evening was actually a Girl's Night (to no one's surprise I am sure), after work I scurried over to Mary and Nicole's apartment for a delectable home cooked meal. Mary is a phenomenal chef, on tonight's menu: Potato Leek Soup, Ratatouille (the Disney recipe), salmon pinwheels, and a homemade chocolate cake (I tried to add a little synthetic diversity by bringing Georgetown Cupcakes...a crowd favorite obviously). After dinner we slowly slipped into a food coma as the comedic sounds of Party Down rocked us to sleep. A relaxed, non-cliche way to spend the day, no complaints here.

Wednesday:
Now aside from being a great chef Mary also has a knack for finding restaurants. And because I have almost been in DC for a month, I was obviously going through Mexican food withdraws. The selection of the evening: Oyamel. A traditional Mexican restaurant, not quite TexMex or my SoCal digs...but delicious nonetheless.
(I have attached Mary's blog so you can view her restaurant critique http://littlechefmary.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/lo-mejor-de-dc/)

Thursday:
Bible study in Annapolis, we are currently doing a Beth Moore bible study on the book of James...kind of obsessed.

Friday:
So not only am I having withdraws for some Southern California grub, but I am also missing my friends (even though someone has visited me at least once a week, that's irrelevant). This week's visitor, none other than my best Miss Kylie Rose Hughes. It was her first time in the city, in 4.5 days I had to show her why it is that I have fallen in love with this city. After work I packed up my desk and headed home for the long weekend (and by that I mean the Ritz Carlton in Georgetown, our home away from home for the weekend). I can only imagine our poor neighbors faces as they heard the excited squeals through the walls, reunions are always exciting especially ours? After the formalities we headed to Georgetown for dinner at one of my favorite spots, Bodega. After dinner we walked the streets and found ourselves in line at Georgetown Cupcakes, you can't visit DC without a taste test of Georgetown, Sprinkles and Baked and Wired.

Saturday:
After our failed attempt to join a segway tour we decided to walk around the monuments. 7.2 miles later we successfully viewed all of the monuments, the white house and managed to stop at my favorite tea houses (I am aware how Asian that sounds), Teaism. When we finally returned to the hotel we collapsed on the beds, it was a productively exhausting morning and now it was time for a well deserved nap! After waking up we got ready and headed to Cava Mezze to meet Nicole, for some Greek cuisine. Still tired from the day's activities we decided to call it a night, as we entered the hotel to head up to our room, we heard the faint sounds of Usher echoing through the corridors. We followed the music and stumbled upon a party, "interested in party crashing?" As we descended down the spiral staircase we saw a brightly colored table decorated with Kanye stunna shades, our ticket in, score! We each snatched a pair and assumed the identities of Mico and Shirley. First stop dessert table.

Sunday: 
To be truly local, you need to experience brunch. We headed back to Georgetown for brunch at Kafe Leopolds (but on the way Sprinkle's released its word of the day so we stopped by for a free cupcake). After brunch we glided along Georgetown, bouncing around between all of our favorite stores. We had to add on one historic sight to the day so after shopping we made our way the the Mall, to see the National Portrait Gallery. This museum is one of my favorite places in the city and I knew Kylie would appreciate it. As always we were running late and after the NPG we headed back to our hotel for a quick freshen up before dinner. Tonight's destination Oya, a delectable Asian fusion restaurant downtown. A few sushi rolls later we rolled down to the W's  P.O.V., for drinks at one of the best views in the city.

Monday:
Our last full day. We had planned on being particularly active that morning, spinning, brunch at Four Seasons then onto the Mall for some more sightseeing. Well, our 7:30 am wake up call turned into 10 am, we had missed spinning and brunch, oh well breakfast in bed it is! After a relaxing lazy morning we jumped on the metro towards Capitol Hill. I took Ky along my commute route, showed her my lovely Townhouse then we made our way to the Capitol, the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress. Then onto the Smithsonian. Our mission: the First Ladies Inaugural Ball Gown exhibit. And yes, it is as magnificent as it sounds. We saw the gowns, the jewelry, the shoes and the china patterns (Nancy Reagan you have my heart and my style). We also saw Dorthy's ruby red slippers, the original catwoman suit and Michael Jackson's hat...the Mall really has something for everyone. After we decided to walk home, one because it was a nice day two because I had dangled Caribou Coffee in front of Kylie all weekend and she needed to experience it! The Golden Triangle is a great place to live, the only downside, after the work day everything closes so it is difficult to find an open coffee shop besides Starbucks. We finally found a Caribou and we enjoyed a Pomegranate Tea Latte (...you'll have to ask her if it was worth all the hype). When we finally made it to the hotel we took a quick power nap then got ready for dinner, we were meeting my Aunt Debbie for dinner at Oyamel (yes I went twice in one week).

Tuesday:
It was Kylie's last day in DC, and what better way to spend the morning than in an Oral Argument at the Supreme Court (ya, I have sweet hook ups). We met Zarmala in front of the Court and bypassed the long lines of people waiting to get into the Argument. We snuck around to the side entrance and made our way to the Marshall's Office, as I entered the Court I instantly went into tour guide mode, spouting off the monologue I used when I interned at the Court. It was wonderful being back, inside these white marbled walls I was first inspired to pursue a career in law. It was nice to be back, and to see some old friends. After the Argument we were famished we set out to Sweet Greens for a salad then said our good byes, I went to work, Zarmala went to bed and Kylie to La La Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment