Thursday, March 22, 2012

PANCAN

One of the reasons I love my job is because I am able to witness some of the amazing things that go on in DC. It has become a rarity that we see a bipartisan consensus in Congress, its kind of like a unicorn these days. I knew that today I was scheduled to attend a hearing from 10-12:30, have a quick lunch date with a friend, then attend a briefing from 1:30-2:30. Neglecting to check the topics I wasn't entirely sure what I was in for. I will not bore you with the hearing...because it was boring; additionally I was multitasking and planning my Stagecoach trip...oops. After my lovely lunch I scurried off to the briefing, Pancreatic Cancer. Interesting, I really have no background on it so I was instantly interested. I knew that this disease had recently taken the life's of Steve Jobs and Patrick Swayze, but by no means was I well versed on this fatal disease. From the moment the briefing began I was captivated. The President and CEO of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network welcomed us then introduced the cosponsoring Representatives Lance and Eshoo. Although they were different in every way, each representing different coasts and political backgrounds they were united together under one cause. A very important cause, that truly deserves more attention especially as it is becoming more prevalent in today's society.  It is the fourth leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S and this year it is estimated that 44,000 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and over 37,000 will die. Today, in the twenty-first century little is known about the risk factor and there are no early detection methods. That is terrifying.


Next to speak was Dr. George Fisher from Stanford University (he is the doctor that worked with Patrick Swayze). He spoke more on the medical and research aspect of the disease.  There are a few types of pancreatic cancer but the most common is adenocarcinoma, accounting for 95% of those diagnosed. Fisher stated that realistically we cannot make more progress unless we develop better treatments and to do so we need to devote more resources to research. Only 2% of the $5 billion annual budget goes to research. There have been developments in other cancer research and pancreatic cancer has “borrowed” those developments but in order to make significant progress we need to develop a focused strategy. It is important to look at the molecular features then identify vulnerabilities. Although this fight looks ambiguously bleak now, it was comforting to know that someone so passionate and brilliant was working to find a cure.


The final speaker was a woman by the name of Eva Noesen, she gave her personal account of her experience with pancreatic cancer. This past January she had lost her husband to pancreatic cancer, he was 30. As she told her story she showed pictures of her husband's body slowly deteriorating with the illness. As I watched this young woman speak about how she lost the love of her life at such a young age I was overcome by emotion. Just looking into her eyes you could see how broken she was, but she was not giving up. She spoke today to garner support for an upcoming bill, H.R.377. Because of the love she bore for her husband she wanted to make a change, she didn't want others to have to experience this same debilitating loss. 


Nothing is more beautiful than a bared, transparent soul.

H.R.733

http://www.pancan.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment