Monday, March 5, 2012

Can't You Be Believing Now

Well it is Monday and I have (almost) finally caught my breath from the last 2 weeks, geesh. Lets see what have I done? Last, last Wednesday we went to a restaurant opening, Fujimar. It was great, the restaurant/lounge/night club is 3 stories. It has a very European feel, and I loved the decor (if you haven't noticed this is a trend, I really appreciate an avant-garde composition). Mala and I pranced around from room to room in search of the sushi display, to our chagrin we were too late for the appetizers and opted to sit in the restaurant for a little taste test. We were soon joined by Jasmine, Gabe, Mary, Ana and Emily as they too wanted to explore our new playground. Our table was positioned quite near the DJ booth and our casual sushi experience soon turned into a dance party.

Friday, Isabella invited us to a Venezuelan fundraiser at Eden, how could we say no. Eden is a fun change up because it always seems (or at least on the floor we frequent) to be playing Latin music. My favorite part about Eden, watching the couple's salsa dance. It is such a beautiful dance, the partners interwoven in a rhythmic melody, so romantic. As Gabe so eloquently pointed out, "I need to learn how to salsa, everyone looks good. Even those ugly kids." And its true, its an aesthetically pleasing sport, even for those who are not? Isabella has promised to teach us (and Mala has promised to teach us to belly dance), I guess we'll see how truly uncoordinated I really am...

Saturday, was a bit hectic. We started the morning off planning a paint party. That was then canceled. Then we decided to go to U St. Then we decided to not make plans because lets be honest, they are unnecessary? Our one stationary plan was dinner, Jas, Isa and I joined Mary and Andrew at Ping Pong for dinner. We pass it every time we go into DuPont and so we figured we'd give it a try. Dim Sum and cocktails, interesting mix but I liked it. As always it was more of a tapas restaurant which I really do love, because I can NEVER decide on just one dish, this way I get to try many. After dinner, instead of heading to a bar like normal 20 something year olds, we found our way to Pinkberry. And just as we sat down, Jas received an interesting text from Chole, "We're downstairs." You're what, under Pinkberry? What does that even mean? Apparently we hadn't informed the whole party that our paint party was CANCELED. We quickly scarfed down our delicious frozen yogurt and made our way back to the house. What was almost a catastrophe turned into quite the event. We sprawled out on crate paper and began sloshing colors together hoping shades would become shapes and forms would turn into figures. Late into the morning when the delirium began to set in we wrapped up our projects and trudged back to our rooms masterpieces in hand.

Blah blah blah...and we fast forward to the following week.

Monday I attended a Congressional meeting with a partner and a client...its casual.

Tuesday, I attend a hearing on the Hill.

Wednesday night I received a text from Madeline Fahan (Vlade), she would be playing a game at American University on Thursday. After missing her first two games in the city due to scheduling conflicts, I was determined NOT to miss another. As I rushed home in the cold, I knew that only one thing could help to compensate for my lack of attendance at her previous games, Georgetown Cupcakes. After placing a small order I would pick them up the following evening before the game. Got to love take out orders.

Thursday, not wanting to make the trek out to AU alone I enlisted the help of my friend Jasmine (I bribed her with a cupcake). After picking up my cupcakes we made our way to the game, it was so fun watching Mads play, I haven't seen her play in years and it made me a bit nostalgic for my high school glory days.

Friday, of course as I was getting ready to leave work it starts to POUR. I quickly hitch a ride with a co-worker to the Pour House (how fitting, I know) where I met up with some friends. After explaining to everyone, that I am not able to drink because I gave it up for lent...I know, I know,  I'm odd, everything around here revolves around happy hour...blah blah blah. After the Pour House we made our way to Mary and Nicole's apartment for a little house warming party. Mary, a true host, shuffled around the party making sure to say hello to everyone, while making appetizers and playing DJ, it was exhausting to watch! Quite the memorable night but it was not over as Mala and I made our way back to the house the girls wanted to go dancing, excellent because it was already midnight and still raining. Why not? We quickly changed and decided to head to Eden. As we were walking out the door our security guard gives us the look, yes yes I know its raining and we are wearing heels and we aren't wearing jackets...it will be fine. As soon as we left the overhang we began to sprint! By the time we had ran the 5 blocks to Eden not only were we out of breath but we looked like wet dogs. The bouncers gave us the same bewildered look as the security guard, Jasmine waltzes up to them tells them that they will not only let us in but that we are not paying. Somehow this always seems to work...and tonight (surprisingly) was no different...go figure.

Saturday, Mala and I had a field trip to Mount Vernon bright and early. It was a lovely day for a drive and the grounds and museum were so interesting. If you haven't been and are in the area it is definitely a must see. After we were dropped off at the house there was no time to rest, we were late already. We were to join Isa, Jas and Andres on a indoor rock climbing excursion  in Maryland. We quickly changed and hopped on the metro, as we entered the expansive gym we geared up and met our group for our first climb. Everyone being pretty competitive collectively decided to bypass the beginner levels and began scaling more intermediate walls. Needless to say after 3 walls none of us could feel our forearms. After a couple hours we headed back to the house where we immediately passed out.



Sunday, we were all pretty useless. Around 3 in the afternoon we managed to go on a short run, but that was short lived because I had a dinner in Baltimore. I quickly managed to put myself together and made my way to Union Station, and just as I was exiting the metro, one of my diamond earring fell out of my dangly earring and onto my jacket sleeve. I immediately panic and can only imagine the trail of jewelry I have scattered around DC...I call Mala and she checks the contents of my jewelry box, all is accounted for, phew. I meet the Isaacs at their hotel and we make our way to the restaurant for drinks before dinner. It was wonderful catching up with the family, I haven't seen them since we returned from Kenya in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment